· SSYHC is operated by the Venice Family Clinic providing low cost and free medical and mental health services for middle and high school students.The SSYHC is a safe place where teens can speak with someone about whatever is on their minds and get the care they need.
4401 Elenda Street
Culver City, CA 90230
For Appointments call: 310-392-8636
● Wellness Exams and Sports Physicals
● Reproductive health including: birth control, STD screening and pregnancy tests
● Care for ongoing conditions, such as asthma, diabetes, obesity and eating disorders
Therapists can be a support as you navigate this part of your life and help you manage different challenges and stressors. Individual and group therapy is offered, and you can talk with a therapist about many things including:
● How to cope with stress, anxiety or depression
● Grief and loss
● Family issues and challenges
● Relationship difficulties
● Sexuality and gender identity
● Substance use difficulties
● Crisis support/Trauma
Our holistic wellness programs will help you address all aspects of your health, including stress management, sleep, and mental health
· In-person medical services onsite at Sandy Segal Youth Health Center have resumed. Medical services are available Monday and Wednesday mornings.
· For sports physicals: Designated days for sports physicals on-site at SSYHC may be scheduled periodically, depending on need. Stay in touch with the school nurse for information. If a student needs a sports physical outside of these designated days, they may contact their own primary care provider, or Venice Family Clinic if they are not connected to a primary care provider.
· Costs and insurance: If you qualify, health services are free. Venice Family Clinic also accepts Medi-Cal, Covered California and MyHealthLA. For families who can pay, we suggest a minimum $25 donation for physicals offered on-site at SSYHC on designated days.
· To schedule an appointment:
· Parental Consent and Confidentiality: Parental consent is required for physicals and routine health exams. Consent forms are available in the clinic and are available for download below. By law, teens may seek confidential services for birth control, pregnancy testing, and mental health emergencies. However, we must report any case where we suspect child abuse or neglect.
Thank you once again for your commitment to the students in Culver City Below are two stories we would like to share that show the impact that the Friends of the Sandy Segal Youth Health Center has had on the youth we serve.
When 16-year-old “Brad” walked into SSYHC, he was very distressed. Even though he had been seeing a private therapist on a weekly basis, Brad had thoughts of killing himself and didn’t know if he could keep himself safe. What’s more, he had not disclosed any of this to his therapist. For nearly four hours, LCSW Maria Jarquin and a master’s level intern worked with this student, helping him get to a place where he felt comfortable enough to allow them to bring in his parents. Brad said that meeting with a SSYHC therapist was a “game changer”, and he knows now that it’s OK to share his feelings, when before he was afraid that doing so would scare his parents. The last time Jarquin checked in with Brad, it was his birthday and he was in much better spirits!
“Cherie” is a 16-year-old sophomore who started going to SSYHC because of anxiety and panic attacks. She would worry excessively, and felt overwhelmed by school assignments and persistent negative thoughts. With therapist Jennifer, Cherie explored the origin of her symptoms, allowing her to break down these negative thoughts and practice effective problem solving and coping skills. Overtime, Cherie learned how to reach out for help and enthusiastically participates in a stress management group, where she provides helpful feedback to fellow participants, such as working through stressful events by using music, writing, and talking with her friends and family. Although she sometimes still struggles, Cherie has learned how to decrease anxiety while in class and follow through in her school work.
Consent for Medical and Mental Health Services
Needed for routine or sports physical exam and all health problems EXCEPT immediate mental health needs and anything related to teen reproductive health.
Copyright © 2023 Friends of the Culver City Youth Health Center - All Rights Reserved.
Federal Tax ID 95-4209374